You know that life happens and sometimes your best intentions to keep a clean home at all times goes awry. Don’t be discouraged by this because there are methods and steps that you can take that will help you in sustaining some level of cleanliness without breaking the bank.
One of the areas that is guaranteed to see the most traffic and therefore requires more of your attention is your bathroom. The place where you are supposed to be able to leave feeling your cleanest is the one place that has the potential to carry the most dirt and grime.
Add a family, perhaps small children or teenagers to the mix and you are probably going to see/smell 10 times more dirt (or whatever that is) than you care to! The reality is normal everyday use is bound to generate unpleasant grime and filth that you can do without. So how do you maintain that professional bathroom clean on an average budget?
As you probably know, there are many different types of tile but no matter what kind of tile you have, the first tip is to have the grout sealed well enough to avoid a large buildup of dirt. Every 6 months to a year or so go to your local hardware or home improvement store and pick up a sealant that works for your tile. Be sure to open the windows and/or turn on your fan for ventilation and go to work. The better the seal, the less dirt you have to clean!
Mopping your floors and wiping down the bathroom tile frequently is important, especially if there are spills or water on the tile. Many of us assume because tile is pretty resilient that implies it can’t really be damaged. In all actuality too much water or spills that just sit on your tile can damage the coloring and has a large hand in the yucky grime and build up that may occur.
It may not sound appealing to have to clean your bathroom more often, but preventative care is different from the deep clean (which you will read about later). Take a wet microfiber cloth with hot water and a mild detergent and spot clean those high traffic spots. You will find that by doing this, you are prolonging the life and not to mention the color and shine of your tile. The whole purpose of preventative care is to not allow your tile to get so bad that dirt becomes embedded.
Deep Clean It
Deep cleaning the tile, if you are consistently following the prevent it method really should only need to happen once or twice a month. However, if you notice that dirt and grime has ingrained itself in your once beautiful tile, there are many every day household products you may use that will help it return to its’ original shine!
- First, heat the bathroom up! One of the methods that hotels’ use that make cleaning bathrooms much easier is to let the bathroom steam up when you add any cleaner. You may purchase a steam cleaner if you wish or use the steam cleaner you own and it will work great on the tile, but running the shower at the hottest setting for a few minutes works just as well. Let the steam loosen up the grime so that you don’t have to overexert yourself.
- If the gunk that you notice is stuck to the tile and it seems like a tough mess and an equally tough odor, use a cup of white vinegar and about a gallon of water. You can especially appreciate this method if you have pets or small children in the home. Vinegar is such a mild acid and it will clean those tough stains and leave a really pleasant scent.
- There are a number of products on the market that all claim to clean bathroom tile and boast to be 99% effective. Many of them may work, however if you choose to select a chemical based product, keep in mind that there have been some concerns around these products being linked to health concerns. You can still have a clean home without putting your health or the health of your family and pets at risk. There are a number of great non-toxic home cleaning products that you can choose from and the concept works the same way. Use a microfiber cloth and deep clean it!
Every day wear and tear of your tile is inevitable however; if you seal it (every 6 months), prevent it (wipe it up) and deep clean it (once or twice a month) your bathroom tile will keep that beautiful shine for a long time! A couple of extra tips:
- If you need a quick deep cleaning method, put the vinegar mix into a water bottle, spray, let it set a few minutes and wipe.
- Turn on your exhaust fan when you take a shower. By doing this you eliminate some of the moisture, which lessons the possibility of mildew and grime to build up
- Wipe the tile down when you are finished! Again, save yourself some time by follow these tips and wipe the tile before grime can even start to build.
See More Bestselling Steam Cleaners on Amazon
Wagner 0282014 915 On-demand Steam Cleaner, 120 Volts
The 915 On-Demand Power Steamer is a pressurized system that supplies steam at the touch of a button. Steam cleans and sanitizes surfaces in one step without chemicals. The st... read more →
Prices are accurate as of October 17, 2018 6:16 pm. Product prices and available are subject to change. Any price and availablility information displayed on Amazon.com at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of any products.
Certain content that appears on this site comes from Amazon Services LLC. This content is provided 'AS IS' and is subject to change or removal at any time.